In an Even Stevens team, Theo and Fran each get to play an even amount of game time.
We're very excited to create and roll-out ‘Even Stevens’ to teams at U12 and below, supporting the FA's Respect campaign. The aim of 'Even Stevens' is to help coaches even out the game time played by their squad, and to get more young people playing and enjoying the great game.
Research tells us that children and young people play football for simple reasons; to have fun and be with their friends. The main reason they stop enjoying the game is because they don’t get to play enough.
The FA’s mini soccer and Futsal handbook highlights the rules which are in place to help you ensure that the game of football is fun, enjoyable and rewarding and for all.
Here are our key principles taken from the handbook:
- Always make the game fun.
- As coaches, you are role models. Along with our referees, you should always help young players to learn the game.
- Development games can be split into quarters, so lets use that time effectively.
Have you considered...
- Your squad size, so that everyone can play today?
- Your squad size not exceeding twice the size of the playing format; this is to help ensure everyone gets an equal game.
- Asking your players to manage their own substitutions?
- What your coaching and club philosophy is? If your coaching / club is built around values of fair play and respect, are you living this out with your team?