Reporting a Concern

Every affiliated club and league with youth and / or mini teams must have in place a:

•Safeguarding Children Policy and Procedure
•Welfare Officer who has an accepted FA Criminal Record Check and completed the Safeguarding Children Workshop and Welfare Officer Workshop
Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility – to make sure you have appropriate safeguards in your club or league it’s important everyone is aware of your safeguarding children policy and the procedures for reporting a concern about the welfare of a child.

Your Welfare Officer will be able to advise you, but if you want to find out more about how to increase your understanding of safeguarding in football why not complete the Safeguarding Children workshop for more information visit ‘Creating a Safe Environment’.

Report your concerns

Safeguarding children is everyone's responsibility. If you are worried about a child it is important that you report your concerns - no action is not an option.

1. If you are worried about a child then you need to report your concerns to the Club Welfare Officer.

2. If the issue is one of poor practice they will either:

•Deal with the matter themselves or
•Seek advice from the County FA Welfare Officer

3. If the concern is more serious - possible child abuse - where possible contact the County FA Welfare Officer first, then immediately contact the Police or Children's Services.

4. If the child needs immediate medical treatment take them to a hospital or call an ambulance and tell them this is a child protection concern. Let your Club Welfare Officer know what action you have taken.

5. If at any time you are not able to contact your Club Welfare Officer or the matter is serious then you can either:

•Contact your County FA Welfare Officer directly ( details below)
•Call The FA/NSPCC 24 hour Helpline for advice on 0808 800 5000 or you can text the NSPCC on 88858
•Contact the Police or Children's Services

Reporting a Concern- How to do it ( please see link below)

If you are a Youth League Welfare Officer then please report your concerns directly to your Somerset FA County Welfare Officer Shirley Needham 01458 832359 / or follow the advice given in point 5 above.