West Bower SCC

West Bower Win Sunday Challenge Cup

Yesterday a wet and windy Wells City FC hosted the GreenSward Sports Consultancy Sunday Challenge Cup between two Bridgwater District Sunday Football League clubs, Ramblers FC, and West Bower FC.

The game got underway with both sides positively approaching the game and both sides optimistic they could take the win. The rain had made the pitch greasy, and it took both sets of players a few minutes to get a feel for the conditions, this led to a few early free kicks and half chances.

Ramblers were the first to test the keeper 10 minutes in, shortly followed by an off-target effort. Bower followed suit with some chances of their own, before having to make an earlier substitution due to injury.  The change led to a phase of Bower pressure with several chances on target but none being converted. This was the way the first half played out, with the sides taking it in turns to have 5-minute spells of pressure but not being able to capitalise and break the deadlock.

At the break, the score remained 0 - 0, and both sides seemed relieved to have reached the break without conceding.

During halftime, a few changes were made, and the new faces looked to make an impact on the game as the 2nd half got underway. It was a lively, some might say, feisty start to the second half with several tackles flying in and subsequent cautions as the sides tried to get a hold on the game and create the opportunity that would see them go on to take the win.

As the game reached the 70-minute mark, West Bower was looking to take control and it was the start of a 15-minute period that had Ramblers playing most of their football on the break as Bower was looking to break the deadlock.

Bower got their reward for their pressure, from a good phase of play when the referee awarded a penalty. The spot-kick was calmly tucked away by Harry Hamblin, considering the pressure he was under, seeing that the game was in the 87th minute.

Bower would have thought that the game was done, but Ramblers had other ideas. There was still time for one last chance for Ramblers, as they broke from a Bower attack and after a goal line scramble, James Millard was there to poke it home and take the game to extra time.

After a short break, and as the rain started to fall again, Extra Time got underway, and it was very even to start with. But Ramblers were looking dangerous down the right-hand side, and they thought they had taken the lead only for the goal to be disallowed due to an offside. This seemed to trigger Bower who went full-on attack from that point and from a freekick a well-delivered ball was met at the near post by George Turner who headed it home for Bower to take the lead.

2 - 1 going into the 2nd half of extra time, and the stage was set.

West Bower looked to control the game, maintaining the ball, and looking to use up the time, while Ramblers could only create some half chances as they looked to level up the game again, but it didn't happen for them and at the full-time whistle West Bower were the winner.

Well done to both sides for a very entertaining fixture, and congratulations to Bower on their success.