Bridgwater United Win Womens Senior Cup

Bridgwater United Win Womens Senior Cup!

The first of the Somerset FA County Cup Finals took place last night at Shepton Mallet AFC. Following the rain that postponed the fixture last week the pitch was in excellent condition, perfect for the Melhuish & Saunders Limited Womens Senior Cup Final.

The sunset and the floodlights came on ahead of kick-off, setting the scene for the action to play out.

Both sides were strong, and hopes were high from both clubs as they entered the pitch. The match officials took their places and the whistle blew to get the game underway.

Bridgwater started strong and dominated the first 10 minutes, and got their reward for the early pressure with a goal after just 9 minutes. Ellie Stripple created the opportunity and Nicky Potts finished it off. One-nil, and it was starting to look like a tough night for Larkhall Atheltic.

The first half remained all Bridgwaters, with multiple chances coming and going without success, and as the half progressed Larkhall slowly grew into the game and were starting to get more of the ball in the Bridgy half, but were unable to create any real chances for themselves.

The game reached half time and Bridgwater were in full control, but the score was still only 1 - 0, and Larkhall felt there was something to be had from this fixture as the teams went in at the break.

Fresh from the break, and now playing down the slope, Larkhall started the second half well, but still couldn't break through the Bridgwater backline and create any opportunities. Bridgwater continued to have their chances and if it wasn't for some great saves from Abi Footner in the Larkhall goal, Bridgy would have extended their lead.

Time ticked on and the Bridgwater pressure grew on the Larkhall goal, and the breakthrough came on the 61st minute when a Leah Burridge header found Jenna Markham who beat several Larkhall players and fired it past the keeper to double the Bridgwater lead. 

Over the next 15 minutes, both sides made substitutions, but the game just simmered as Larkhall were denied time after time any clear cut chance, and Bridgwater managed out the game.

The full-time whistle blew after a few added minutes and Bridgwater United was the first team this season to collect some Somerset FA Silverware.

Well done to both sides for a great game, and congratulation to Bridgwater United.